Saturday, September 6, 2008

Friday Night Dinner Fried Green Tomatoes Oh and Pizza

So all in all I think the Fried Green Tomatoes were a success. I loved them! It was the first time I had eaten them so I have nothing to compare mine to.
I only fried up one tomato. I wasn't sure how they would be received. My pickiest eater (well, aside from Hubster) was surprisingly interested in them. He really loved the sauce and ended up cleaning the dip bowl with his pizza.
They were tasty. The right amount of salt with the right amount of crunch. I would add a little more spice to the recipe the next time. I think the recipe called for seafood seasoning. I used Old Bay. Half of a teaspoon. I would use more next time for a little zing.
I think these would be great paired with crab cakes and some corn on the cob. A bounty of summer dinner.
I would make the dipping sauce again too. We love fried zucchini cookies in this house and I think this dipping sauce would go well with those too. I normally serve a horseradish sauce with the zucchini and that might be interesting to try with the FGT.
I would call it a success and keep these in mind for next summer when I have an over abundance of tomatoes both ripe and green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy. I never had fried green tomatoes. And I like tomatoes go figure. I guess you have gotten me in the mood to at least try to make them. Great blog by the way :-)